Proposed Program Application Process
Welcome to the BVNPT Proposed Program Application Process Page!
This information will assist with the proposed program application process and provide resources, such as links to the regulations and required forms.
The BVNPT hosted an online Public Stakeholder Meeting on October 6, 2022, to discuss regulatory changes regarding proposed programs. In addition, the Education Division held three online training sessions via WebEx to help proposed programs with understanding the new regulations and completing the Letter of Intent to Submit Application for Initial Approval of New School or Program and the Application for Approval of New School or Program. Those online training sessions were held on October 20, 2022; November 3, 2022; and November 14, 2022, respectively. We encourage any entity with the intent to propose a program to watch the recordings alongside reviewing the relevant documents below to have the clearest understanding of what your program shall require. If you are interested in viewing the recordings of the Public Stakeholder Meeting and/or the three online training sessions, please contact email@example.com with your request.
Interested in Starting a Program?
If you are interested in starting a new program, we suggest that prior to submitting an application, take time to do the following:
- Review the regulations and learn about the requirements for a new and existing program.
- Review the recordings mentioned at the top of the page.
- Look at the current programs for ideas on how to run a successful program.
- Submit any questions or feedback you have about this website to the BVNPT Proposed Program Email.
Procedure for Approval for a New School or Program
Please review the Procedure for Approval for a new VN or PT school or program.
To begin the application process for a new school or program, the institution shall submit a completed Letter of Intent to Submit Application for Initial Approval of New School or Program, and attach the required documentation listed within the form, to the BVNPT Proposed Program Email.
- 55M-1 Letter of Intent to Submit Application for Initial Approval of New School or Program Vocational Nursing; or
- 56M-1 Letter of Intent to Submit Application for Initial Approval of New School or Program Psychiatric Technician
- 55M-3 Intent for Clinical Facility Placement
Upon receipt of a completed Letter of Intent and the required documentation, Board staff shall send written notice to the institution acknowledging receipt, informing the institution of the next steps in the approval process, and provide an estimated wait time until active assignment to a Nursing Education Consultant. It is incumbent on the institution to reach out to the BVNPT Proposed Program Email if you have not received an acknowledgement email within two weeks.
Once the institution receives written notice by the Board of the active assignment of a Nursing Education Consultant, the institution shall submit the nonrefundable initial application fee, and a completed Application for Approval of New School or Program form, with all required documents, within 60 days from the date of written notice. The written notice from Board staff will include instructions on how to submit the completed application package.
- 55M-2 Application for Approval of New School or Program of Vocational Nursing; or
- 56M-2 Application for Approval of a New Psychiatric Technician School or Program
- 55M-3A Clinical Facility Verification Form VN; or
- 56M-3A Clinical Facility Verification Form PT
- 55M-10 Verification of Faculty Qualifications Form
- 55M-2W Vocational Nursing or Psychiatric Technician Program Curriculum Content Instructional Plan
- 55M-2E Summary of Instructional Plan Program Hours Vocational Nursing Program; or
- 56M-2E Summary of Instructional Plan Program Hours Psychiatric Technician Program
Within 30 days of the date the Board receives the completed application for approval, the institution will receive written notice regarding whether the application is complete or what additional documents or fees are required to make the application complete. The institution will have 60 days from the date of the Board written notice (“60-day submission period”) to provide the missing information and the consequences of failing to submit the required fee or information.
If the application is complete, the Nursing Education Consultant will work with the program director to complete the process. Within six months from the date the Board receives the completed application, Board staff shall provide written notice to the institution of the action taken on the application and the effective date of that action. The written notice shall also include all of the following, as applicable:
- an invoice detailing the reasonable costs incurred by the Board in the approval process for the institution,
- if the Board proposes to approve the application, that the Board's approval is contingent upon payment of the final approval fee,
- the deadline for providing the final approval fee in response to the Board's request; and
- if approved, the consequences for failing to respond and provide the fee.
The approval period shall be for a term of four years and shall expire at 12 midnight four years from the date of issuance by the Board unless the Board grants continuing approval, or the approval period is extended.
A program inspection may be conducted by a Board representative.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Once an institution is assigned to a Nursing Education Consultant, it is imperative to maintain communication with the consultant during the approval process, including ensuring that your contact information is up to date. A lack of communication with the Nursing Education Consultant or incomplete submission of documents may result in denial of program approval.
Licensed Vocational Nurses
- VN Article 1. General Provisions
- VN Article 2. Application for License
- VN Article 3. Examinations
- VN Article 4. Licenses
- VN Article 5. Schools of Vocational Nursing
- VN Article 6. Revenue
- VN Article 7. Continuing Education
- VN Article 8. Intravenous Therapy
- VN Article 9. Blood Withdrawal
- VN Article 10. Intravenous Therapy/Blood Withdrawal
- VN Article 11. Sponsored Health Care Events — Requirements for Exemption
- PT Article 1. General Provisions
- PT Article 2. Application for License
- PT Article 3. Examinations
- PT Article 4. Licenses
- PT Article 5. Schools for Preparation of Psychiatric Technicians
- PT Article 6. Revenue
- PT Article 7. Continuing Education
- PT Article 8. Blood Withdrawal
- PT Article 9. Immunizations and Skin Tests
- PT Article 10. Sponsored Health Care Events — Requirements for Exemption