Recruitment for Expert Witnesses
The Board is recruiting qualified individuals to serve as expert consultants for the Board's Expert Witness Program. Expert consultants play a very important role in consumer protection. Board experts provide consultation to staff, analyze case materials, prepare written opinions, and when necessary, testify at administrative hearings as an expert witness.
An expert consultant is a licensed practitioner who possesses technical and professional knowledge gained through advanced education and extensive work experience that enables the individual to form a definitive professional opinion regarding the standard of care under investigation.
Expert consultants are paid $65 per hour for case analysis and preparation of the expert opinion report and $300 per day plus expenses if called to testify at an administrative hearing.
Interested applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- Hold a current active and valid license in California as a registered nurse, vocational nurse or psychiatric technician; be in good standing; have no prior or pending disciplinary actions with the Board or any other state licensing agency; and no pending investigations or enforcement actions.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years post-licensure practice.
- Have worked directly with licensed vocational nurses and/or psychiatric technicians within the last twelve months as either an educator or practitioner in California.
- Have knowledge of standards of professional practice for licensed vocational nurses and /or psychiatric technicians.
- Be able to interpret the Vocational Nursing Practice Act and/or the Psychiatric Technician Law.
- Possess strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to express ideas logically and critically.
- Possess the knowledge and experience required to render an unbiased opinion that reflects current knowledge and standards of professional practice for licensed vocational nurses and/or psychiatric technicians.
- Agree to the Board's hourly compensation rate.
If you are interested in providing expert consultant services to the Board and you meet the above requirements, please complete the Expert Consultant Application and mail it to the address below or Email the Expert Coordinator.Board of Vocational Nursing & Psychiatric Technicians
ATTN: Enforcement Division
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive
Sacramento, CA 95833