- Job Opportunity for Nursing Education Consultant - PDF
- Board Meetings
- Consumer Complaint Act of 1997
- Contact Us
- Decisions Pending and Opportunity for Public Participation
- Department of Consumer Affairs
- Disciplinary Guidelines
- Expert Witness Recruitment
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Join Our Email List
- License Fingerprint FAQ
- Mandatory Reporting
- Online License Verification
- PRN Newsletter
- Sponsored Free Health Care Events
- Follow on Twitter
LocationBoard of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive
Sacramento, CA 95833
Phone: (916) 263-7800
BVNPT's forms are in the Adobe PDF format or available to submit online, as noted. In order to fill out, view, and print PDF forms, please download and install the most current FREE Adobe Acrobat Reader. Please note that you cannot save the form once it is filled out, you can only print it, sign (if required), and mail to the Board. If you are unable to print the desired form, you can email the BVNPT at email@example.com or call the Board's office at (916) 263-7800 to obtain a hard copy.
Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVNs) and Psychiatric Technicians (PTs) are required to renew their license every two years. Satisfactory completion of continuing education (CE) is required for an "active" license in addition to a social security number. Licensees must also certify under penalty of perjury, whether they have been convicted of a crime since they last renewed.
Renewals can be submitted online at DCA BreEZe Online Services
Conviction and Discipline Requirement
As a condition of renewal, a licensee shall disclose whether, since their last renewal, he or she has had their license disciplined by a government agency or have been convicted or pled guilty to any crime. A conviction must be reported regardless if it was an infraction, misdemeanor, or felony, except that you need not report a conviction for a traffic infraction if the fine was less than $1000 and the violation did not involve alcohol or controlled substances. You must disclose any convictions in which you entered a plea of no contest (nolo contendre) and any convictions that were subsequently set aside or dismissed pursuant to Sections 1000 or 1203.4 of the Penal Code.
Continuing Education Information
- Active Licensure: If you desire an "active" license, you must complete thirty (30) hours of CE. The course(s) must have been completed within two (2) years prior to the date of renewal of your license.
- Inactive Licensure: If you desire an "inactive" license, you do not have to complete thirty (30) hours of CE. However, you must still submit your renewal fee and you should be aware that an inactive license does not permit you to work as a Licensed Vocational Nurse.
- First Renewal: If this is your first renewal following the issuance of your license, you are not required to complete thirty (30) hours of CE.
Do not send your original CE certificates to the Board. Retain the CE certificates for four (4) years as required by the California Code of Regulations. If you are audited by the Board, you will be required to submit copies of your CE certificates at that time as proof of completion of the thirty (30) hours.
Licensing Fingerprinting Requirement
For those licenses expiring on or after April 1, 2009, the Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT) will require LVNs and PTs, that were licensed prior to January 1, 1998 or for whom a record of the submission of fingerprints no longer exists, to submit a complete set of fingerprints to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) as a condition of license renewal. For more information, see the License Renewal Fingerprint Requirements page.
A delinquency fee is assessed if the renewal fee is not paid within thirty (30) days after the expiration date. A licensee may renew a delinquent license any time within four (4) years of the expiration date by submitting payment of all accrued and unpaid renewal fees in addition to any fees due upon renewal of a delinquent license along with proof of continuing education, a social security number, and conviction statement. To determine the fee to renew your delinquent license, see the Accrued Renewal Fee Chart.
Mailed License Renewal
Renewal notices are mailed 6 weeks prior to the license expiration date. The renewal fee must be received on or before the expiration date in order for the licensee to continue to legally work.
If you do not have a renewal notice, you may use the "Application for Renewal of License" (56R-18) form to renew. Please ensure accurate completion of the following steps:
- Download an Application for Renewal of License (LVN/PT) - (56R-18)
- Complete the "Application for Renewal of License" Form. Failure to complete this form in full may result in delays in processing your renewal.
- In box 9, indicate whether you want an active license or an inactive license and provide the continuing education information if you want an active license.
- In box 10, idicate whether this is a first renewal or if you have, or have not completed the contunuing education requirement.
- In box 11, indicate whether you have, or have not, been convicted or pled nolo contendere to any violation of any law of any state in the united states or a foreign country.
- In box 12, indicate whether you have, or have not complied with the fingerprint requirement.
- Attach a check or money order made payable to the BVNPT (Do not send cash).Accrued Renewal Fees Schedule to determine the amount due, based on the expiration date on your license (see below).
- Mail the application form and fee to the
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive
Sacramento, CA 95833
Accrued Renewal Fees
- Licensees that renew their licenses prior to their expiration date, or within the 30-day grace period for renewal, are required to pay only the "timely" renewal fee of $155 for (LVNs), and $300 for (PTs).
- Licensees renewing after the expiration of the 30-day grace period, but prior to the end of the next renewal cycle, are required to pay the regular renewal fee plus the delinquency fee (i.e., $230 for LVNs and $450 for PTs).
- A renewal received more than 2 years after expiration date shall pay two renewal fees and one delinquent fee (i.e., $380 for LVNs and $750 for PTs.).
- A renewal received within 90 days of becoming 4-year expired shall pay for the three renewal fees and one delinquency fee. (i.e., $580 for LVNs and $1050 for PTs).
- Look up your expiration date and determine the renewal fee due at this time.
VN Education Fund: Effective July 1, 2004, Business and Professions Code Section 2898.5 establishes the Vocational Nurse Education Program within the Health Professions Education Foundation. The new law requires the Board to collect a $5.00 fee from vocational nurses at the time of license renewal to fund a scholarship and educational loan program for vocational nurse education. More information is available at www.oshpd.ca.gov/HPEF/.