- Job Opportunity for Nursing Education Consultant - PDF
- Board Meetings
- Consumer Complaint Act of 1997
- Contact Us
- Decisions Pending and Opportunity for Public Participation
- Department of Consumer Affairs
- Disciplinary Guidelines
- Expert Witness Recruitment
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Join Our Email List
- License Fingerprint FAQ
- Mandatory Reporting
- Online License Verification
- PRN Newsletter
- Sponsored Free Health Care Events
- Follow on Twitter
LocationBoard of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive
Sacramento, CA 95833
Phone: (916) 263-7800
New Fingerprinting Requirements for Anyone Licensed Prior to January 1, 1998
For those licenses expiring on or after April 1, 2009, the Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT) will require Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVNs) and Psychiatric Technicians (PTs), that were licensed prior to January 1, 1998 or for whom a record of the submission of fingerprint no longer exists, to submit a complete set of fingerprints to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) as a condition of license renewal. Specifically, Title 16, California Code of Regulations, at sections 2517.5 and 2575.5, requires that:
- A licensee who was initially licensed prior to January 1, 1998, or for whom an electronic record of the submission of fingerprints no longer exists, shall furnish to the Department of Justice a full set of fingerprints for the purpose of conducting a criminal history record check and to undergo a state and federal level criminal offender record information search conducted through the Department of Justice.
- This requirement is waived if the licensee is renewed in an inactive status, or is actively serving in the military outside the country.
- A licensee will have to certify on the renewal form whether his or her fingerprints have been furnished to the Department of Justice in compliance with this section.
- As a condition of renewal, a licensee shall disclose on the renewal form whether, in the prior renewal cycle, he or she has been convicted of any violation of the law in this or any other state, the United States, or other country, omitting traffic infractions under $300 not involving alcohol, dangerous drugs, or controlled substances. In addition, a licensee must disclose any disciplinary actions against his or her license.
Failure to comply with these requirements renders any application for renewal incomplete and the license will not be renewed until the licensee demonstrates compliance with all requirements. Failure to furnish a full set of fingerprints to the Department of Justice as required by the regulations is grounds for discipline by the Board.
Therefore, anyone licensed by the BVNPT prior to January 1, 1998, needs to complete the following tasks:
- If you are a resident of the State of California, review the License Renewal Live Scan Instructions & Forms and download them here: License Livescan Form.
If you are having trouble downloading the form please make sure you have the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
(Alternatively, you can right click on the link and choose "Save Target As" to download the file to your PC.
- Make sure that the BVNPT Mail Code on the Live Scan Form indicates 13425.
- Licensees will have to complete the Request for Live Scan Service Form (BCII 8016) and go to a Live Scan site. You will have to pay the Live Scan operators a fingerprint processing fee of $49 and a separate live scan rolling fee. Once your fingerprints have been scanned, the Live Scan operator will complete the bottom section of the form and return the 2nd and 3rd copies to you.
- Upon completion, please mail the 3rd Copy of the completed Live Scan form, with the bottom section of the form completed by the Live Scan operator, to the BVNPT at 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Sacramento, CA 95833, to facilitate collection of your criminal history information from DOJ. You must retain a copy of the completed Live Scan form or another receipt of compliance for 3 years after your renewal date.
- A list of "California" Live Scan Sites are posted on the DOJ website at: https://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/locations
- Live Scan fingerprinting is only available within the State of California. If you reside outside of California, please contact the BVNPT at (916) 263-7800 to request the "hard card" fingerprint forms and procedures.
All licensees are advised to immediately begin submission of your fingerprint records to DOJ to avoid lengthy processing delays during your license renewal period. Please do NOT wait until the last moment to submit your fingerprint records as lengthy processing delays will occur.