- Job Opportunity for Nursing Education Consultant - PDF
- Board Meetings
- Consumer Complaint Act of 1997
- Contact Us
- Decisions Pending and Opportunity for Public Participation
- Department of Consumer Affairs
- Disciplinary Guidelines
- Expert Witness Recruitment
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Join Our Email List
- License Fingerprint FAQ
- Mandatory Reporting
- Online License Verification
- PRN Newsletter
- Sponsored Free Health Care Events
LocationBoard of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive
Sacramento, CA 95833
Phone: (916) 263-7800
Applicants for licensure are required to be fingerprinted for purposes of conducting a criminal history record check. The fingerprints remain on file with the California Department of Justice, and that agency provides reports to the Board of any future convictions on an ongoing basis. (Authority: Section 144, Business and Professions Code) Two methods are available:
- Live Scan - For applicants residing in or near California, it is recommended that you use this method
- Manual Fingerprint Process - If you cannot access the Live Scan process, you may use the manual fingerprint card method
If you are residing in or near California, you may obtain the triplicate form for Live Scan service from the Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians and take it to a Live Scan site along with your fee for processing. At the Live Scan site they will scan your fingerprints electronically and transmit them immediately for processing. After you have had your fingerprints scanned, be sure to attach the second copy of your Live Scan form to your licensing application packet when you mail it to the Board.
Visit https://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/locations to locate Live Scan sites. Most local law enforcement agencies in California have Live Scan equipment. Hours of operation and fees vary, so please contact the Live Scan site directly for information.
Using Live Scan can help speed your licensure because the Board receives fingerprint results much quicker than through the manual card process. On average, Live Scan results take 1-2 weeks, while a manual fingerprint card can take 1-2 months. (Processing time at DOJ and FBI can vary.)
- For a detailed fill and print with instructions Request for Live Scan Service form.
- Print a copy of completed Live Scan form and take the 3 requests to the Live Scan site with your fee.
- After your fingerprints are scanned:
- 1. 1st copy of form is kept by the Live Scan Operator
- 2. Retain 2nd copy of form for your records.
- 3. Attach 3rd copy of form to your licensing application packet and mail to the Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians.
- To request a hard copy triplicate Request for Live Scan Service form to be mailed from the Board to you for completion. (ONLY AVAILABLE IN CALIFORNIA)
To submit a manual fingerprint card, obtain the 8" x 8" fingerprint card from the Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians. Refer to your application instructions for detailed information on how to complete the card, get your fingerprints rolled, and mail them to the Board, along with your fingerprint fees. Please keep in mind that results from the manual card process take 1-2 months on average. (Processing times at DOJ and FBI can vary.)
- To request a fingerprint card from the Board.