- Board Meetings
- Consumer Complaint Act of 1997
- Contact Us
- Decisions Pending and Opportunity for Public Participation
- Department of Consumer Affairs
- Disciplinary Guidelines
- Expert Witness Recruitment
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Job Opportunity for Nursing Education Consultant - PDF
- Join Our Email List
- License Fingerprint FAQ
- Mandatory Reporting
- NCSBN - Recruiting NCLEX Item Development Volunteers
- Online License Verification
- PRN Newsletter
Recruitment for Expert Witnesses
The Board is recruiting qualified individuals to review Enforcement cases for preparation of expert opinions.
The California Evidence Code defines an Expert Witness as a person who "has special knowledge, skill, experience, training, or education sufficient to qualify him as an expert on the subject to which his testimony relates..."
An Expert Witness must:
- Hold a current and valid license in California as a registered nurse, vocational nurse or Psychiatric technician;
- Have worked directly with licensed vocational nurses and/or psychiatric technicians within the last twelve months as either an educator or practitioner;
- Have knowledge of standards of practice for licensed vocational nurses and/or psychiatric technicians in California;
- Be able to interpret the Vocational Nursing Practice Act and/or the Psychiatric Technicians Law;
- Be able to write clear, succinct expert opinions; and
- Be available to testify at scheduled administrative and criminal hearings.
Expert Witnesses are paid $40 per hour for case review and preparation of the expert opinion, and $250 per day plus expenses when called to testify at an administrative or criminal hearing.
All qualified individuals who are interested in working with the Board as an Expert Witness are encouraged to fill out the Expert Witness Application form (55E-1A) and mail it to the Board at 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 205, Sacramento, CA 95833. The Expert Witness Application form (55E-1A) is also now available for download.